REPORTS TO: Physicians, Managing Nurse DEFINITION OF POSITION: Responsible for rendering professional care to patients undergoing gastrointestinal endoscopy procedure within the Center, in accordance with established procedures. Functions cooperatively with physicians and staff exhibiting teamwork characteristics.
- Prepares histologic slides from tissue sections for microscopic examination and diagnosis by pathologist.
- Prepares sections of human or animal tissue for immediate examination, using rapid tissue processing and frozen section technique to freeze, cut, mount and stain tissue specimen received from surgery.
- Operates computerized laboratory equipment to fix, dehydrate, and infiltrate with wax, tissue specimens to be preserved for study by PATHOLOGIST.
- Prepares slides of specimens, using specified stain, to enhance visibility under microscope.
- Examines slides under microscope to ensure tissue preparation meets laboratory requirements.
- May study slides under microscope to detect deviations from norm and report abnormalities for further study.
- May supervise activities of laboratory personnel and be known as Supervisor, Histology.